Learning how to play an instrument is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and those around you! The benefits of learning how to play an instrument are numerous, and it’s easier than you might think to get started, even as an adult. So if you want to learn something new, start off your New Year by learning how to play an instrument!
Music Education Benefits for Adults
Music education benefits adults in many ways. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Music education strengthens cognitive skills like multitasking and creativity.
- Music education fosters emotional intelligence, which can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Musical training can improve memory and concentration, making it easier for adults to learn new things outside of music.
- Adults who play instruments may notice an increase in their brain’s volume of gray matter, which may boost their problem solving abilities as well as other important mental functions like speech and language processing.
Tips to Choose the Correct Musical Instrument for You
There are many different kinds of musical instruments that can be played. Below are some tips on how to choose the right one for you:
- Think about what instrument you want to play and if it’s easy or hard for you.
- Consider whether you have an interest in playing in bands, ensembles, or solo pieces.
- Determining your budget will help narrow down which types of instruments are available for purchase.
- Depending on what style of music you want to play, there may be certain required instruments that need to be purchased separately from just purchasing the instrument itself.
- If there are any friends who know how to play an instrument, ask them about their experience and if they would recommend it for you as well.
Finding a Teacher
One of the most important things in learning how to play a musical instrument is finding an experienced and qualified teacher. Angeles Academy of Music has some of the best teachers for music instruction in Los Angeles, with students progressing at an amazing rate.